11 Sep 2011, Posted by Martha Larsson in Articles,Maternity Tips, No Comments. Tagged maternity leave, maternity tips
Expecting a baby? Well, first of all congratulations and now is time to find out about the maternity leave! The coming of a new baby is a great reason to feel happy and excited. But, with it come lots and lots of preparation. This is among the hardest parts of expecting a baby. It will be more complicated if you are currently holding a job. Getting a maternity leave is not as easy and simple as it may sound most especially if you work for a company that has rules and guidelines that are stricter than the guidelines of an average company. To help you out in getting that maternity leave you need, always remember the following tips on how to acquire one.
Asking for a Maternity Leave
- Get a copy of your employee’s handout and go over it. This is the most practical way on how to learn more about your maternity leave. In fact, this should be the very first thing you should do. If you don’t have a copy of the handout or there is something in it that you do not understand or if there’s not a section on it about maternity leaves, it’s best that you go straight to your company’s Human Resources Department office and inquire about the matter. Nothing beats consulting personally those people who are in the know.
- Approach your direct supervisor. He or she is the one handling most of your records and papers. With that said, he/she should be able to provide you with very helpful insider advice on how you should go about in asking for a maternity leave. Or he/she could point you to the appropriate individual who can assist or guide you.
- Find out how many days you are allowed to go on leave, how you are going to get your salary or compensation and how much salary you can expect to receive. Furthermore, see if you are eligible to receive whatever bonuses or compensation that other employees will receive during the period that you are on leave.
- You will be consulted by your bosses so be ready for it. You should be able to answer their questions. The more you are able to give them the answers they want, the more chances you have in getting the maternity leave you want with the corresponding benefits. You should also be able to answer questions with regards to your work and responsibilities in your office so that it will be easier for your bosses to transfer such responsibilities to whoever will be replacing you during your leave.
- Write a formal letter of request. In a lot of firms, there are formatting guidelines that you need to follow so get your hands on such guidelines and follow them to the letter. You should know to whom you should address the letter, what information you need to include and whose address you are supposed to send it. There’s nothing more frustrating than realizing that you sent your formal letter of request to the wrong person.
Always remember the tips above when asking for a maternity leave.
Bestselling Maternity Pillows on Amazon
Leachco Back 'N Belly Contoured Body Pillow, Ivory
Even the most comfortable beds become uncomfortable during pregnancy. The Back 'N Belly contoured body pillow helps moms-to-be find a comfortable sleeping position. The hourgl... read more →
Prices are accurate as of June 19, 2013 11:19 AM. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.